Thursday, October 27, 2005

how to stencil a poster/ graff pic part 1

I started with this picture of Douglas Bader ("look Ma ...no legs") from an old movie poster. Any pic will do as long as you remember: more colours = more layers = more cutting.











popping the jpg into a photo-editing program (photoshop, GIMP etc), I traced the shapes of about 4 different colour fields and a black outline.












I then printed 4 of the heads on plain paper and cut the various fields from the areas I wanted to spray, as shown.











Then placing the cut -out of the face on my canvas, I sprayed the background. If I hadn't been using a light colour for the face, I could have relied on it overpainting the area and not have bothered with the shield.










I used a light gold/brown mix for his tanned face.















then a darker brown for the goggles and mask



















and finally a red brown for the flying helmet.

















and the final product after over laying with th black outline stencil. (and forgetting to mask around the outside so i get those "stencil lines" around it. grrr. now I'll have to pretend I meant it to be like that.

2 comments:

Nick Stephenson said...

This is a great pic. Maybe I should commission you to do me a Kate Bush tribute! Well done

sigh9 said...

the point of the post is how simple it is for anyone to do a stencil. Have you heard her new album?