Wednesday, February 15, 2006

burning monk


This is a 2-stage stencil using a the frame of the stencil as partof the image and some very blobby black spraypaint. The image is a famous one of the buddhist monk who set himself alight to protest against the government's religious persecution (which went on to become the cover of a Rage against the Machine album). Taken by Malcolm W Brown in 1963.

I'm not sure the image is famous enough to warrant instant recognition and the stencil lacks enough detail to be easily recognised for what it is, but I like the way it turned out.

I originally thought the monk was protesting against the Vietnam war, when I made this, and it was meant to have an anti-Iraq war message but I suppose the religious tolerance message is as pertinent now.

2 comments:

Psychbloke said...

I think the RATM cover has ensured enough recognition for the guy

(What a curious posthumous fate....)

The Eyechild said...

I always assumed it was a Vietnam protest too.. hm

Like the flamez..